Sunday, December 12, 2010

Big Cat Sanctuary

So there I was reading the Sunday paper. I love big cats and wouldn't you know it there they were on the front page. I was never much for putting animals in cages. My dad who worked in the zoo industry some thirty years told me that zoo's were for educating people so that in theory they would care about the animals in the wild and preserving the wild animals habitat. Somewhere things got turned around and now zoo's and sanctuaries are shutting down because of the economy. Animals can only be released back into the wild if they can be reconditioned to survive in the wild which is what the movie born free is about. So when a zoo or sanctuary shuts down the animals who cannot be placed with other sanctuaries or zoo's are euthanized (as in murdered).

The Bridgeport Cares Sanctuary houses 53 big cats. They are looking at shutting down. They already turn down 1000 or more cats a year.

While I was reading the article I wept. These wild animals domesticated against their will are facing execution if we don't do something. As you may already know their is a big panther on my main vf page because I admire the magnificence of the wild animals who we share our planet with. I hope we can make a difference.



http://www.bigcatcare.org/homepage.htm


http://www.wfaa.com/news/entertainment/pets/sanctuary-needs-help-98867859.html




No comments:

Post a Comment